Powered by WPeMatico
6 Ways Logan Paul Could Have Actually Raised Suicide Awareness
Powered by WPeMatico
Spotify sued over songwriter rights
Powered by WPeMatico
The White House defends the president’s secret rounds of golf.
Powered by WPeMatico
Top Comics to Buy This Week: January 3, 2018
With dozens of comic books to choose from, let us show you which are the best coming out this week. Take a look at this list spotlighting our favorite comics that we know are money-well-spent and new books that look cool and are backed by some top-tier talent.
Check out our picks, then head to the comments to let us know what you’ll be buying this week!
By writers Scott Snyder & Tony Patrick & artist Cully Hamner | DC
Powered by WPeMatico
Online Freeroam Mode Coming For Free To Need For Speed Payback
Despite featuring an open-world environment, Need for Speed Payback doesn’t offer a multiplayer freeroam mode, much to the disappointment of fans. That will change sometime this year, as EA and developer Ghost Games have announced plans to add such a mode in a forthcoming update.
The official Need for Speed Twitter account confirmed the news, though it shared virtually no details. Online Freeroam mode will be released at some point in 2018–no specific date has been announced, as it remains in development. Once it’s ready, it’ll be available for free to all players on PC, PS4, and Xbox One.
Online Free Roam coming 2018, Happy New Year from everyone at Need for Speed! 🎆 pic.twitter.com/Ht8cRsvQQA
— Need for Speed (@NeedforSpeed) January 1, 2018
Beyond that, we don’t know what to expect or how soon it might arrive. As it stands, there is no freeroam support in multiplayer outside of a waiting room lobby feature, which players have used as a substitute in place of a proper option.
After the series took a year off in 2016, Payback was released in November. It focused on a more action-oriented, Fast and Furious-inspired style of gameplay and narrative. In our Need for Speed Payback review, critic Richard Wakeling laid out many of the game’s issues, though the open world itself was called out as a highlight–making the absence of a freeroam mode a disappointing omission.
Powered by WPeMatico
Next Overwatch Event Coming Very Soon; New Characters And Maps Teased
Overwatch is approaching its second anniversary, but Blizzard has no plans to slow its support for the hero shooter. With 2017 in the books, the studio has offered a recap of the past year in Overwatch updates and provided some vague sense of what’s to come in 2018.
In the video above, game director Jeff Kaplan discussed what the Overwatch team has in the works. An exact schedule for what he talks about was not shared, although he did indicate that the new Blizzard World map launches “very soon.” He said that the map–which is a theme park for Blizzard’s other franchises–is one of the game’s best to date, contains “tons of great Easter eggs,” and mixes things up with gameplay in a way that Blizzard hasn’t tried before.
Also coming “very soon” is a Lunar New Year event. Whereas last year’s celebration was the Year of the Rooster, 2018’s event will be the Year of the Dog. More details will be announced in the future, but Kaplan said that it includes some “pretty significant content that players are going to be very happy with.” He added that Blizzard also intends to make some changes during the event based on feedback to previous events.
Last year’s Uprising event will return in some form, though Blizzard “want[s] to evolve it” in some way. The Anniversary event will also make a comeback, providing players with another chance to earn things like the dance emotes that were available last time around. With the Overwatch League kicking off shortly, skins based around that will be added to the game soon, and short- and a long-term changes to how Competitive Play operates will continue to be considered.
Kaplan teased that “great new maps” are in the works, and a new character, tentatively referred to as Hero 27, is already in internal testing. He didn’t give any indication of what to expect from the character, only saying he or she is “very needed.” A release date hasn’t been determined yet, as Blizzard is more concerned with getting the character right. The studio is also thinking about new heroes to come after this one.
Finally, players can expect to see a “ton of new content” added to the base loot box in the near future. This will provide a variety of new items to obtain without any of the time constraints of the limited-time loot boxes that appear during events. Unfortunately, there’s no word on how soon we might see Kaplan again sitting in front of a fireplace.
Powered by WPeMatico
Please WWE, Do Not Turn The First Women’s Royal Rumble Into A Joke
The December 18 episode of WWE Raw closed with Stephanie McMahon making a historic announcement: For the first time in history, there will be a women’s over-the-top-rope battle royal at The Royal Rumble. The winner will get a title shot at WrestleMania.
In just three years, WWE women’s wrestling has grown by leaps and bounds. There have been so many firsts. Two women main evented a pay-per-view for the first time in 2015; that match was also the first women’s Iron Man match. The first women’s Hell in a Cell match was in 2016. The first women’s Money in the Bank ladder match was in 2017.
Each of these firsts was crucial, because it set a standard for future Superstars to pursue. For this reason, the first women’s Royal Rumble must be a serious athletic competition all the way through. Play it straight. There is no room or time for “humorous” skits on this occasion.
These matches are more than an affirmation of what is current; they are also a course correction to how WWE treated women in the past. And I’m not talking about the bra and panties matches and dog barking segments, which were close to two decades ago; I’m talking about less than three years ago, when women’s matches were the bathroom break of the show. The average women’s match at the time was 3-5 minutes–nowhere near long enough to tell a decent story. WWE fans, generally speaking, were irritated and bored, but they put up with it. Everyone, the company included, seemed to have a defeatist “it is what it is” attitude about the whole situation.
But on February 23, 2015, there was a tag match on Raw between Paige/Emma and The Bella Twins that lasted approximately 30 seconds. Paige and Emma were the shining stars of the women’s division in NXT. And fans were upset. The hashtag #GiveDivasAChance trended on social media, and the backlash forced WWE to consider an overdue notion: that on a three-hour show, the female wrestlers deserved a match that was longer than their collective entrances.
Since then, things have improved greatly. Now, the Cruiserweights are the bathroom break of the show (which could fill an entire editorial by itself). And the women have compelling storylines and excellent matches. To use a recent example, the Paige vs. Sasha Banks match on the December 4 Raw was the highlight of the entire show.
The company has gained a dedicated female audience–one that cosplays as its favorite characters, pays money to see the live shows, and subscribes to the Network. WWE needs to cater to that audience, specifically.
No Stupid Jokes
At WrestleMania XXV, there was a Divas battle royal, the winner of which would be crowned Miss WrestleMania. WWE invited Divas from years past — Sunny, Molly Holly, and Torrie Wilson–to make this a nostalgia fest.
WWE mucked it up in two ways. One, they made the Divas enter the ring as part of a Kid Rock performance. There were no individual entrances, which would allow fans to celebrate each woman’s participation. And two, they had Santino Marella win the title of Miss WrestleMania by coming to the ring dressed as a woman.
Imagine if WWE attempted something similar for the first women’s Royal Rumble. What if Tyler Breeze came to the ring dressed as a woman? Even if he didn’t win the entire thing–even if the women collectively threw him out of the ring together–it’s still wasting a spot that a female wrestler deserves, for a retrograde comedy bit that’s not worth the effort.
No Match-Altering Interference
This year was the first women’s Money in the Bank ladder match. It should have been a landmark occasion in WWE history, a chance to create a highlight reel moment for years to come. Instead, WWE Creative had James Ellsworth climb the ladder and drop the briefcase to Carmella. To put it more bluntly: In a match that was marketed as empowering to women, a man was the one who secured the victory.
The backlash was swift, and WWE redid the match on SmackDown; this time, Carmella won the briefcase on her own. But by then, the damage was done. And even though Carmella still has the briefcase, nobody cares anymore, and nobody takes her seriously. Hopefully, WWE has learned its lesson; whoever wins the Royal Rumble needs to have stood on her own two feet to get there.
Years from now, when the women are more firmly established, outside interference in the Rumble might work. But for this first one? The winner needs to be non-controversial and legitimate.
Have A Full-Time Superstar Win The Match
Over the next several weeks, writers and bloggers will speculate on which WWE legends will enter the rumble–Trish Stratus; Lita; Alundra Blayze. They’ll also speculate about which non-wrestlers will enter the rumble–Ronda Rousey; Cris Santos. They would all be wonderful surprises, and their participation would undoubtedly draw interest.
But none of these women should actually win the entire thing.
Imagine if Mr. T won the first male Royal Rumble. This women’s match needs to highlight and celebrate the full-time talent, rather than being a celebrity vehicle. A Rousey or Cyborg victory might pop the fans and get some mainstream news coverage. But unless Rousey or Cyborg is committed to working WWE’s full-time schedule, a victory would be a short term gain for a long term loss. What will Charlotte Flair”s multiple title reigns and Asuka’s undefeated streak be reduced to if Rousey can simply waltz in and armbar her way to victory?
Establish a respectability and history the women can be proud of. And then, decades from now, they’ll call back to that history instead of reinventing it all over again.
Powered by WPeMatico
Daily Deals: Protect Your PC With Webroot, Ghost in the Shell Complete Manga On Sale
Welcome to IGN’s Daily Deals, your source for the best deals on the stuff you actually want to buy. If you buy something through this post, IGN may get a share of the sale. For more, read our Terms of Use.
Like me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter to get the latest deals.
Powered by WPeMatico
Senator Orrin Hatch’s exit opens door to Mitt Romney
Powered by WPeMatico

